Is Detox Diet Healthy?
It is clear to everyone that we are exposed to harmful substances daily (pesticides, polluted air …). However, all these toxins are routinely eliminated by the liver, kidneys, lymph system, digestive tract, and lungs.
There is currently no evidence that the detox program helps in releasing toxins from fat tissue and organs and there are no scientific studies that prove the effectiveness of a detox diet.
When implementing this regime, you are likely to lose a few pounds, but most of those pounds are lost water and muscle, not fat. You will return very quickly after you stop detox dieting.
Detox diets can cause problems such as dehydration, muscle loss, lack of nutrients. It can also lead to headaches, diarrhea, fatigue and concentration problems.
A detox diet can be dangerous for:
- People with diabetes
- Children, young people, and pregnant women
- Elderly persons
- People taking medicines or under medical supervision due to medical condition
Other Methods for Eradicating Toxins:
- Consume a balanced diet with lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains
- Avoid processed foods that have a lot of fat, salt, sugar and additives
- Avoid cigarettes
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Avoid exercise outside when the level of air pollution is high.