Very often it happens that you keep some of yesterday’s lunch or dinner. Maybe someone did not show up for dinner or you overestimate your appetite. Parents have always taught us that we never throw away food, and sometimes we want a delicious meal to stay for tomorrow.
However, you should know that you should not keep all foods in the refrigerator and heat it in the microwave or on the stove, because they can become toxic. We present to you 7 foods that no matter what you shouldn’t heat them up.
That’s right, the heated rice can easily poison you. If you store it at room temperature, toxic bacteria develop in it very quickly. To avoid vomiting or diarrhea, keep the cooked rice in the refrigerator in a closed container. In this way it is safe for use if you immediately heat it and eat it.
If cooked potatoes are stored at room temperature, bacteria that cause food poisoning can develop very quickly. It would be best to already prepared potatoes kept in the fridge. When you want to eat, you can reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
- Onions, celery and beetroot
These foods often can be found in soups and broths. However, if you reheat them, it can release certain toxins. The reason for concern are the nitrates found in these foods. It’s especially dangerous if you reheat them several times, so it’s best to warm up only the amount you will eat.
Whether they are boiled, roasted or baked, eggs should not be warmed up. As rich in proteins, reheating can alter their structure and cause serious problems with the digestive tract.
Just like eggs, and chicken is very rich in protein. If reheat, it is possible to get stomach pains, diarrhea or provoke vomiting. If you really want to eat the leftovers, make sure that they are well-cooked, so it is cooked inside. Still, it might be safer to eat it cold in a salad or sandwich.
- Oils and fats
Many oils are oxidized very quickly, such as hazelnut oil, walnut oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil. If you use them again for cooking or frying, dangerous trans-fat will occur. More precisely, it would be best not to use any type of fat more than once, but throw it away immediately after use.
Proteins in mushrooms change their structure when they are heated again and can become very dangerous. Also, it is not recommended to store mushrooms at room temperature, as they can drop toxins if you do not store them in a dry and cool place, as recommended. It is best to consume mushrooms immediately after preparation and not to keep them longer than one day in the refrigerator.